Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Austin?
In a variety of ways, smart tools like security cameras and video doorbells have enhanced our security. We are able to get alerts when a stranger arrives at our front door, and we can have video clips sent to us when questionable activity is detected. Having devices we can communicate with through the internet advises us to potential hazards immediately. But there is one main downside. The quick access that benefits us is also creating a pathway for hackers.
Even though you don’t need to lose sleep fretting over smart home hacking in Austin, you need to be cognizant of the potential danger and implement a plan to avoid it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It’s astonishing how the internet has influenced our daily lives as just about anything is accessible wirelessly, including your security components, smart flat screens, and even your coffee maker. The drawback is that this generates more avenues for virtual villains to invade your network. Even so, you don’t need to avoid wireless home defense systems or other smart components. Alternatively, consider these recommendations and take steps to keep invaders off your network.
- Create strong passwords: This is a must for all accounts, including your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and a blend of numbers, letters, and special characters. Avoid dates of birth, street names, or other options hackers might easily guess. A password generator will provide something absolutely random and password management software may help you track your many accounts.
- Avoid default settings: When hooking up your new router, it’s likely to come with a preprogrammed password to get you started. Change it. Hackers are likely to have these default passwords as well. Establishing your Wi-Fi network and new router correctly at the start is critical in maintaining your security.
- Set up separate networks: Why include your smart oven, your security devices, and the laptop you use for work on a single network? Most routers will let you create a different guest network. Take advantage of it and protect important information present on your laptop, desktop, and phone.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for commercial networks. They can also be integrated with your private network. Firewalls can watch what’s happening on your network and stop suspicious activity. You could opt for a router including an integrated firewall.
- Use the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you’re using a newer router, you might have the chance to use WPA3, the most up-to-date wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You ought to find home security devices that use 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Be certain firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your operating systems at the latest levels for all devices, including your connected video cameras. In some cases, these updates will address known issues and tighten up your network’s security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Devices In Austin
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have reputations to uphold and are more likely to rectify a security flaw in their equipment. Other off-the-shelf products might not be so conscientious. Buying your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and other items from one source like ADT is a wise choice. And deciding to have all of your systems installed at once will help ensure seamless integration, operation, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, utilizes two-way encryption when communicating with your integrated equipment.
Design Your Own Austin Home Defense Package
Now that you have a better idea on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, it’s time to begin designing your own home security in Austin. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to find the ideal package for your family. Dial (512) 641-0712 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.